Hey Jodi, here’s my heroes… will you share yours, too?
My heroes, the people I see as role models, are…
- My mom: Her mom died when she was 13, and she left school to raise her younger siblings. We were not wealthy, but Mom was always doing charity work. She always said you’re never too poor to help someone else and you’re both richer for it, not in money, but in the things that count.
- My Dad: Despite leaving school at 15 to help his mother on the farm, Dad was self employed all the years I was growing up. He taught me that hurdles mostly exist in our mind and that persistence, determination, belief in yourself and hard work go farther than most people realize.
- Mary Tyler Moore: Because she was just so darn decent! And I was a little girl watching Mary Tyler Moore as she tackled topics like getting paid the same as the men, and not being married. My introduction to feminism. :)
- Oprah: I so love Oprah. I don’t like all her choices (ie Dr. Phil) but I love who she is, her demeanor and the way she presents as a person. To me, she’s the epitome of don’t judge where we can go by where we started.
- Dr. Clarissa Pinkola Estes: Because she’s professional, and crazy and magical and kind and gentle and if “you do you” applies to anyone on this planet, it applies to her. Have you read Women Who Run with Wolves?
- Mr. Rogers: lol. Not even kidding. The world needs more of his brand of kindness. Just so gentle and understanding and funny.
- Tom Hanks: Because. Just because. I could give you a list that would make no sense anyway, but I probably don’t need to. With all the ugly in Hollyweird, he just comes across like such a decent human being.
Your turn? :)