In random order, except #1. Other than that, how do you choose? I didn’t include people, because it would fill most of the list, and they already know.
(Memories are in bold italic ❤ )
40 things I love…
- Kindness. (If anything tops the list, that would be it.)
- Bubble baths before bed on a cold winter night.
- The smell of lilacs in the air after a spring rain
4. Waves crashing on the rocks in the summer.
5. Walking barefoot in the sand.
6. Formidable old women — Storybook Baba Yagas and real life Chernobyl Grannys who don’t give a damn shit what anyone thinks because they’ve lived this long and dammit, they’ll do what they want now!
7. Trees that look like hobbits should live inside them.
8. Chickadees singing (chick-a-dee-dee-dee) at my window in the winter.
9. Peonies — did you know they can live and bloom for 100 years? Or that sweetened peony petals are a dessert?
10. The cookies mama used to make, gigantic and soft in the middle
11. One day, I heard knocking on my kitchen window. It was a little grey squirrel. The feeder was empty. The rest were waiting by the feeder. The brave one came to ask while they all watched. It was amazing!
12. Baby kittens that still wobble
13. An elderly man on my street grafted an apple & cherry tree together. In summer, it’s an explosion of apple and cherry blossoms, and then apples and cherries grow side by side on one tree... I love that tree!
14. White haired elderly couples who still hold hands.
15. Dandelion Jelly — it tastes like sunshine. I make it every summer.
16. Sitting outside, writing in my journal as the sun peeks over the treetops.
17. Indoor waterfalls — a little slice of peace and calm — inside, yet!
18. Books that rip your heart apart and put it back together the right way.
The Green Mile, The Book Thief, Schindler’s List, Roots, so many more…
19. When sun beams make rainbows in the house
20. Golden raspberries still warm from the sun
21. Spiral spuds at the street fair in the summer
21. Swans. (❤including Bella and Buzz, though I miss William)
23. I was walking a nature trail and when I turned down a new trail, there were 3 deer just standing and watching with their big round eyes. It felt magical — and then they turned and disappeared into the trees.
24. Tibetan sheepskin rugs.
25. Dark Chocolate. Not the 90% stuff, but that lovely dark but still sweet.
26. Used book stores and forgetting what time it is or how long I’ve been there.
27. Eyes. They are the windows to the soul.
28. Hot, black coffee in the morning. Mexican or Peru, preferably.
29. Cappuccino in the afternoon.
30. Plants, everywhere. It feels like the outside, but inside.
31. Vintage lettering (1400s - 1800s) — I restore and digitize them as a hobby
32. Antique books — illuminated manuscripts and ancient recipe books — so amazing to see the work people created centuries ago.
33. Hand lettering and font-making — another hobby, here’s one I made, though the photo isn’t great, should have waited for better light. Yes, that’s the pen I made it with. lol.
34. The feel of the sun on my bare shoulders in summer
35. I was walking at the river when I noticed a grey heron standing still, watching me. We both stopped, absolutely still, and watched each other…
36. Photography — you wait and wait and hold your breath and hope you’ll get the shot but when you do, omg, it makes the waiting worth it.
37. Falling asleep to the sound of a kitty purring.
38. Design! Graphic design and website design and book interior design and packaging design because it’s like creating worlds with your hands & mind.
39. Long stretches of open road with good music and sunshine.
40. Louis Armstrong — What a wonderful world. Mama used to play it on her old turn table (vinyl) and sing along.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, but must be felt by the heart. — Helen Keller
No — but wait — there’s more. I forgot thunderstorms and lightning and the sound of rain on the window and so many more. I thought it would be hard to get to 40, but it was harder to stop.
Thanks to Stephen Anthony for including me… I’d love to see 40 things you love from Gail Boenning, Denise Garratt, Dennett, White Feather, Linda A Robinson, PhD, arthi, Normal Earthling, Rick Gibbins and Tiffany Sun. If you play along please tag me so I don’t miss it. ❤